Sunday, July 11, 2010

Uses of Technology for English Language Learners


Integrating technology in instruction can make learning engaging and authentic, especially when learning a new language. Using technology in a language classroom can increase opportunities for students to interact with the language in an authentic way. According to the article Uses of Technology in the Instruction of Adult English Language Learners, there are various ways teachers can incorporate technology into the language classroom. This can be done through software programs, project-based Web learning, Web quests. I know that there are many different ways that teachers can incorporate technology into the classroom and I myself have used web quests, project based learning and internet activities to practice grammar and vocabulary. I am interested in knowing if classroom teachers are using software like Rosetta Stone or the Oxford Picture Dictionary CD-ROM in foreign language or ESOL classrooms. I have used Rosetta Stone myself and would like to use it in my own classroom but I am wondering how teachers use it to supplement curriculum and content. I know that in a foreign language classroom there is a specific curriculum with specific vocabulary and grammar that needs to be taught. How can a foregin language teacher use Rosetta Stone or any other software program to supplement curriculum? These programs may help language learners understand unfamiliar words in context that they may not encounter through the curriculum or an everyday classroom. I would like to know if anyone has done it. Also, are there ESL teachers that are doing the same? How are they incorporating this software into their instruction?

Click here for a link to the article

3 comments:

  1. Interesting article, I agree that educators should integrate technology such as language supporting software in their lesson plans. These type of software can strengthen students english language development. It can enhance students visual and auditory perception of difficult words. I remember being in a third grade classroom after the lesson the teacher directed the students to four work stations. One of the stations had three computers equipped with language developing softwares. Depending on the context of the lesson she would modify the program. I wish I knew the name of the program, I would love to use it in my future classroom. But I know there are other programs similiar to it. I believe the same can be done with rosetta stone, it deals with math (numbers, money) social studies (traveling, restaurant) and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the use of technology can help to enhance the instruction of students learning another language. Although I haven’t used Rosetta Stone with my ESL students, I have found some useful sites on the internet that are great for teaching vocabulary and early literacy skills. One of my favorite sites is: http://www.starfall.com . This site has a plethora of activities for students to do individually or in pairs in or outside of the classroom. Starfall is fun, colorful, and engaging with useful activities to build up students’ phonological awareness and English language development. A similar site for students learning Spanish is: http://www.123teachme.com . Spanish for kids is a great site for kids to acquire basic listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. They can choose from a vast selection of games, writing and drawing activities, and even Spanish songs and lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should know what Rosetta Stone software is all about but I'm not too familiar even though I shared an office with an assistive tech person. There is another product called Pimsleur that apparently a lot of people make comparisons. I got trained with another ELL piece of software this year but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was (the disadvantage of one-time one-stop kind of workshop...I can't even remember the name of the software).

    ReplyDelete